Drug Abuse Quotes: Inspiration for Recovery
It can help to start a new journey with healing music and beautiful, peaceful images. Language is also a powerful tool. These inspirational drug abuse quotes are a reminder that the first step toward sobriety is the doorway to a healthier, happier life.
1. “The beginning is the most important part of the work.” –Plato
We must take the first step toward recovery, no matter how terrifying or impossible it seems. In all new beginnings there is fear ― and there is also great possibility.
2. “Do not wait until the conditions are perfect to begin. Beginning makes the conditions perfect.” -Alan Cohen
Sometimes we think we must wait until the “right time.” We may delay by having one last drink, one last high. There’s a wise part within that knows when it’s time to take action. We have to feel the fear and move forward anyway.
3. “Begin today. Declare out loud to the universe that you are willing to let go of struggle and eager to learn through joy.” -Sarah Ban Breathnach
We may have hurt ourselves and others and no longer trust ourselves. If we declare our intentions, anyway, we are making a statement that despite everything, we choose to heal ourselves, our relationships and the mess that life had become.
4. “No, this is not the beginning of a new chapter in my life; this is the beginning of a new book! That first book is already closed, ended, and tossed into the seas; this new book is newly opened, has just begun! Look, it is the first page! And it is a beautiful one!” ― C. Joy Bell
Any chance we are given to change our lives is an opportunity. We may be carrying pain, trauma, shame, guilt and heartache, but we can make meaning of our lives and give meaning to our lives. We must acknowledge history but also choose to write a new book of life.
5. “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” —George Bernard Shaw
Addiction keeps us from knowing who we are, and from making wise choices. It leads us to harm ourselves and others. But that does not preclude us from re-creating our lives and our beings.
5. “There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth … not going all the way, and not starting.” –Buddha
Although it may not seem so at first, sobriety can be a lifetime reality. Once we start, we must have a way to continue our healing journey and set up our lives responsibly so that we are supported in remaining sober.
6. “Start by doing what’s necessary; then do what’s possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.” -Saint Francis of Assisi
If we’ve never skied before, standing at the top of the mountain and looking down the slope will be daunting. Recovery is like that too. But step-by-step, day-by-day, we can make strides that carry us closer to our goals until one day it feels as if a great weight has been lifted. We now have renewed self-respect and tools and skills that can help us remain free. And we have a chance to live a happy, sober life.
Inspirational and motivational drug abuse quotes can also remind us there is hope when we are distressed.
The Science Behind Why Inspirational Quotes Motivate Us