The Benefits of Choosing a Rehab Center in California
For instance, a person seeking treatment for addiction must consider whether it would be better to remain local, or to leave their community while in rehab. Regardless of where you live, it may be beneficial for you or your loved one to consider treatment at one of the many rehabilitation centers in California. The following list highlights some of the benefits rehab centers in California offer that could enhance your addiction treatment.
- Certification versus licensure. California provides for certification/accreditation in addition to licensure. And many licensed rehab centers in California also obtain certifications to illustrate that their programs meet or exceed state standards. Research has shown that programs in states that offer certification/accreditation, as opposed to just licensure, provide more group counseling, family counseling, integrated collaborative services and continued care after treatment ends. The impact of certification on rehabilitation centers in California is an overall increase in services and improved long-term outcomes.
- California is made up of a diverse population of residents who struggle with addictions at a higher rate than the rest of the nation. In 2010, nearly 11% of Californians reported using illicit drugs in the preceding month, as compared to a national average of about 9%. Additionally, since mental health issues often occur with other addictions, and one out of every six California residents suffers from a mental health disorder, addiction treatment within the state has become as diverse as its population to meet the need. Individuals seeking treatment can benefit from the wide range of services offered by the more than 1,500 rehab centers in California.
- Getting treatment from rehab centers in California can be useful for both those who live in California and those who reside elsewhere.
- Individuals who currently live in California may benefit from staying local. Doctors, therapists, fellow patients and support groups remain in close proximity and can help with continued sobriety after treatment has ended. Additionally, family and loved ones may be able to visit and become involved in the recovery treatment process.
- Individuals who live outside of California may find that leaving the community may be a good idea. Seeking help from a rehabilitation center in California may mean leaving behind the current environment that contains triggers, obtaining a clean slate, forming new positive habits and improved anonymity, all of which can be a psychological benefit during recovery.
- While many people may enjoy the change in seasons, there is evidence to suggest that warmer locations tend to benefit people receiving treatment for addiction. The temperate not-too-hot, not-too-cold California climate encourages outdoor activities and exposure to vitamin-D producing sunlight. Vitamin D has been reported to help defend against depression.
- Environment and attractions. California’s landscape provides a unique opportunity to engage in a variety of outdoor activities that can aid in the recovery process. It is important to develop and nurture outlets for fun that don’t involve the object of your addiction. Additionally, exercise releases endorphins, the brain’s feel-good chemicals, which help improve mood and fend off depression. Regardless of where a person may be located within the state, there is generally access to beaches, mountains, the desert, or all three, within a few hours’ drive. Most rehabilitation centers in California are located near at least one nature- or entertainment-based attraction.
The treatment facility you choose can play an integral role in your recovery. Choosing from one of the many rehabilitation centers in California can help improve treatment and recovery.