In line with our commitment to holistic addiction treatment, Promises Austin offers personalized Recovery Fitness programs. Recovery Fitness is a complete health and wellness program that uses evidence-based approaches to build strength, flexibility, stamina, balance, coordination and other elements of fitness. Clients have access to:
- Fitness, nutrition and wellness assessments
- Three hour-long group fitness classes per week, which build camaraderie, accountability and motivation
- Group yoga once weekly and personal yoga classes once weekly by request
- 60-minute personal training sessions with certified personal trainers
- Education about nutrition and fitness and their application to addiction recovery
- Fitbit mobile tracking device that monitors calorie intake, activity levels and sleep quality, and allows guests to stay connected with their coaches, trainers and dietitians both during and after treatment by request and when clinically appropriate
- Monthly fitness-oriented outings such as hiking and kayaking in downtown Austin
Making Sobriety Fun
In the Recovery Fitness program, there is no typical workout. From yoga and resistance training to kayaking, hiking, biking and swimming, clients are sure to discover an activity they enjoy. This type of cross-training not only helps prevent injury and promotes full-body fitness but also makes exercise fun. Life without drugs and alcohol doesn’t have to be boring. Our clients join in on fun activities in the community, including 5K and 10K marathons (some of which might end with everyone covered in paint!).
The program is designed to suit people of all ages and fitness levels, with an emphasis on proper technique and functional movements (the types of movements needed for comfort in daily living, such as being able to pick up your children and grandchildren). Instruction is provided by a team of certified personal trainers, CrossFit certified coaches, certified yoga instructors and licensed dieticians.
The Importance of a Healthy Lifestyle in Addiction Recovery
A healthy lifestyle is important for anyone, but particularly those recovering from drug and alcohol addiction. Research shows that a healthy diet can ease some of the complaints in early recovery (e.g., digestive issues) and repair nutritional deficiencies that are common among addicts. Regular exercise promotes quality sleep, boosts energy and provides an overall sense of well-being.
Diet and exercise are also vital relapse prevention tools. Recovery Fitness workouts are designed to activate the neuroendocrine response (responsible for the “runner’s high”), which can help ease depression, anxiety and other issues. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle may also minimize drug cravings, serve as a positive distraction and is a beneficial way to structure the day without using drugs or alcohol.
Take Control of Your Health
Recovery Fitness empowers clients to be self-sufficient and in control of their health after they leave the program. No health clubs or home gyms are necessary – only the class workbooks clients take with them and the knowledge gained in the classes. Most workouts take one hour and rely on medicine balls, dumbbells, jump ropes, resistance bands and other equipment that can easily translate to life at home.
To learn more about Recovery Fitness, call 844-876-5568