Advances in addiction treatment have led to the implementation of various holistic therapies. Research has shown that complementary therapies such as yoga, music, art, and equine therapy for addiction recovery improve client outcomes. While you may simply think of horseback riding as an enjoyable activity, horses help addiction recovery in ways that may surprise you.
Promises Behavioral Health strives to provide the latest evidence-based treatments for addiction. Equine therapy for addiction recovery is part of our repertoire, and our clients have made tremendous strides using this unique therapy. If you are interested in learning more about how horses help addiction recovery, keep reading or reach out to us at 844.875.5609.
How Do Horses Help Addiction Recovery?
Many people enjoy spending time with animals, although they may not know the therapeutic effects. Organizations have recognized the benefits and are including animal-assisted therapy in various settings, including children’s hospitals, nursing homes, and addiction treatment centers.
So how do horses help addiction recovery? These beautiful animals support your healing by:
- Alleviating stress and anxiety – Just being in the presence of a horse and helping care for them can be soothing.
- Helping you feel more comfortable talking about your addiction – Many people who are uncomfortable opening up to their therapist in the early stages of treatment find that working with horses helps them let their guard down.
- Exposing underlying feelings that contribute to addiction – Horses are very perceptive animals. They can sense your feelings and reflect them back to you. You may discover fear or anger that your therapist needs to work through.
- Rebuilding your trust in others – Your addiction may have caused rifts in your relationships, and your interactions with others may have left you feeling down about yourself. Equine therapy can be a great start to rebuilding trust and improving your relationships. Horses are non-judgmental and accept you for who you are in this moment.
If you have tried other forms of therapy before but have not seen the results you desire, you may wish to consider equine therapy. A comprehensive addiction treatment program that combines medication, behavioral therapy, and holistic therapies like equine therapy will provide the most effective treatment.
Is Equine Therapy Right for You?
Equine therapy is especially beneficial for people struggling with:
- Drug or alcohol addiction
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Eating disorders
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
Mental health disorders such as the above often occur alongside addiction and are known as co-occurring disorders. Equine therapy for addiction recovery helps you heal from substance use disorder and co-occurring disorders simultaneously.
The Benefits of Equine Therapy for Addiction Recovery
There is so much more that goes into recovering from addiction than simply abstaining from drugs or alcohol. You need to understand what led you to substance abuse in the first place and recognize your triggers. Low self-esteem, relationship troubles, and poor coping skills can often contribute to addiction. Horses help addiction recovery by allowing you to work through these issues in a safe setting.
Horses can help you heal from mental health conditions and addiction by:
- Improving your sense of self-worth
- Raising your self-esteem
- Increasing your confidence
- Reducing your stress levels
- Building your communication and relationship skills
- Helping you get in touch with your emotions
Equine therapy, just like other forms of animal-assisted therapy, is one of the components of addiction treatment that patients most look forward to. Creating a bond with these beautiful creatures as they assist your healing can make for a one-of-a-kind experience.
Enjoy Equine Therapy for Addiction Recovery at Promises Behavioral Health
If you are looking for an addiction rehab that stands out from the pack, look no further than Promises Behavioral Health. We offer complementary therapies like equine therapy as part of our evidence-based, comprehensive treatment plans. Reach out to us today at 844.875.5609 to start your journey to a healthy recovery with the help of horses.