Promises & Dr. David Sack featured on:
Intensive Diagnostic & Fitness-for-Duty Evaluations
The Intensive Diagnostic Evaluation Program at Promises is designed for anyone needing a thorough diagnostic evaluation. We frequently evaluate licensed professionals but executives and others can greatly benefit from this process. Symptoms that can trigger the need for an evaluation include:
- Suspected new onset of a mental health disorder such as a substance-related disorder or other psychiatric disorder
- Unexplained changes in behavior or function
- Questions of impairment related to job performance
- Complicated fitness-for-duty evaluations when there is a behavioral or mental health cause of primary concern
- Chronic pain issues if substance abuse is suspected
- Disruptive behavior and boundary violations.
When a professional is sent for evaluation it is usually because there are legitimate concerns that must be addressed. The opportunity for a thorough evaluation can be squandered if the evaluation is not done correctly the first time. The evaluation program at Promises was developed by Greg Skipper, MD, Director of Professionals Health Services. The program protocols are based on Dr. Skipper’s years of experience conducting evaluations while medical director at Springbrook Institute in Oregon and as medical director of the Alabama Physician Health Program where he participated in many evaluations. Proper evaluation requires experience, finesse, hard work, dedication and a firm commitment to the highest levels of integrity and ethical conduct. Our evaluations are thorough, fair and always based on established diagnostic criteria.
For a free assessment.
The Promises Evaluation Team
In addition to Dr. Skipper the evaluation team at Promises is remarkably talented including, in part:
- Robert Martin, MD – Assistant Director, Professionals Health Services. Dr. Martin is a board certified in addiction psychiatry with specialties in forensic and addiction psychiatry. He is a member of the faculty at the University of Southern California Medical School and former head of addiction treatment services at Cedars Sinai.
- Mark Hrymoc, MD – Dr. Hrymoc is the founder and medical director of the Addiction Medicine Group at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Office Towers and is board-certified in General Psychiatry, Addiction Psychiatry, and Addiction Medicine. He obtained his subspecialist training in Addiction Psychiatry at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, where he currently practices. He also holds an appointment as an Assistant Clinical Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences at UCLA.
- Laura Dorin, PhD – psychologist expert in psychometric testing with many years of experience evaluating health professionals and clients for the Catholic church
- Tracy Zemansky, PhD – a psychologist with an extensive background in working with health professionals
- Susanne Tarleton, PsyD – psychologist with many years experience and expertise in conducting therapy with professionals
- Lee Ann Teaney, MFT – group leader for the Lawyer Assistance Program in Los Angeles County and accomplished therapist
- Jim Conway, MFT – active health professionals group leader and former treatment program manager
- Andrew Yellen, PhD – neuropsychologist
- John McGavock – certified polygrapher and co-founder of the American Polygraph Society
- Ortho-Healing – a clinic dedicated to diagnosis and non-invasive treatment of pain
- Sexual Recovery Institute – a clinic specializing in treatment of boundary disorders and sexual compulsivity
- And others
The evaluation process is entirely separate from the treatment programs at Promises. Evaluations are usually conducted on an outpatient basis from a nearby hotel. Just because someone is referred for evaluation does not mean they have a particular problem. Often our evaluations result in better insight and understanding of existing problems that can be resolved at home. Our evaluation program is not a “gimmick” for admission to our treatment program. Evaluations are conducted with the utmost of integrity. Much effort is placed in providing accurate diagnoses (if any) and helpful recommendations.
Evaluations are usually conducted on an outpatient basis utilizing a nearby hotel in Marina del Rey. Clients are transported to and from the LAX airport (20 minutes away) and to and from the evaluation program as needed.
We strive to conduct intensive diagnostic evaluations efficiently with a 72 hour or less goal for completion. In order to accomplish this goal we ask clients to complete a preadmission process that includes:
- An extensive preadmission interview by one of our physicians
- Preadmission urine and hair/nail testing (if needed)
- Provision of all pertinent records, complaints, orders, etc.
- Completion of an extensive questionnaire, including a detailed description, by the client, of the events that led to referral
We make every effort to issue immediate preliminary diagnoses and recommendations at or near the time of discharge.
Each evaluation is custom designed. There are tremendous resources for further specialized testing in the metropolitan area of Los Angeles. We can usually find a resource for whatever is needed. Components of our standard evaluation include:
- Preadmission process – as above
- History and physical, routine blood workup, and other tests as needed
- Addiction medicine assessment
- Neuropsychiatric screening and follow-up as needed
- Psychological testing – including MMPI, MCMI, Rorschach, Beck Depression Scale, and others as needed
- Psychiatric evaluation
- Psychological evaluation
- Group participation (profession specific groups, etc.)
- Polygraphy (as needed)
- Other (pain medicine, gambling, sex, additional evaluation as needed)
- Fitness-for-duty assessment
- Specialized pain assessment when needed
The fee for a standard evaluation is $4,500. Because each evaluation is customized to meet the needs of every client, total evaluation fees may vary based on the additional services. As a result, total fees may be significantly higher depending on complexity and duration of the evaluation.
To Schedule an Evaluation Please Contact:
Greg Skipper, MD, Director Professionals Health Services
Jamie Deans, Executive Director